Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Our littlest bird?


Ok, so I need to be a bit more specific about what I mean by the "littlest" bird. So pictured here is what I call as the littlest bird the banding station bands, a beautiful Winter Wren. BUT, it is not the "lightest" bird we band, and it is NOT the smallest bird we capture. Confused yet? Ok, so let me break this down. So the "smallest" bird we capture (but not band) is Ruby-throated Hummingbird. They are the lightest in weight (near 3.2 grams, but with a little fat can be upwards of 5 grams), but they tend to have a pretty long wings. The "lightest" bird we BAND goes to Golden-crowned Kinglets. They typically run about 5.5 to 6.0 grams (although I have seen birds weight as light as 4.8 grams), but they too have long wings and tail. But the Winter Wren has the shortest wing and tail, but they are hefty little fellas. So the "smallest" bird we band is the Winter Wren, but the "lightest" is Golden-crowned Kinglet. Is that better?
As for Winter Wrens, they are a common migrant here at Kiptopeke, although they are a bit difficult to see! They love to hang around 'downed" wood, like brush piles and better yet, if it is located within a forest-type setting. Since 2001, we have been averaging just over 24 Winter Wrens a season (low 17, high 34). So far this season, we have banded 14 of these tanglers of mist nets. I am glad we don't catch them by the hundreds. They really can get tangled in a net because of their small size and feisty attitudes!